Want to play music? Apply for a $300 Music Lesson Award!
Applications for 2018-19 open in August
Do you have an interest in improving your musical ability? Perhaps you want to join a band, or play for your own enjoyment as a hobby. The Sacramento Jazz Education Foundation offers Music Lesson Awards to students interested in developing their ability to play and perform music.
Awards are in the form of paid music lessons on the standard instruments used in jazz performance. Instruments include (among others): trumpet, cornet, trombone, clarinet, sax, piano, banjo, guitar, bass, tuba, drums, and vocals.
Award recipients will be selected based on several factors, which include but are not limited to:
1) Interest in learning and improving your playing;
2) Dedication to becoming a better musician;
3) Willingness to work hard and practice;
4) Recommendation by a music instructor (school
or private ); and
5) Financial need.
AGE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be at or below the 10th grade.
Please submit a packet with:
1 – MLA STUDENT APPLICATION FORM
2 – Essay
Please write short essay or paragraph and answer the following questions:
1) How and when did you become interested in playing music?
2) How many hours per week do you practice?
3) Why do you want to learn more about music?
4) What do you enjoy most about playing music?
5) What are your future goals in music?
6) Do you see yourself playing traditional jazz in the future?
7) Anything else you’d like to add.
The music teacher(s) listed on each application will submit a letter regarding the applicant’s interest, progress, and dedication to learning music. Comments regarding this student will be welcome
You and your teacher can link to the online submission forms on this page. Or you can download the form, and mail your application, biography and recommendation to:
Music Lesson Awards
c/o SacJef Foundation
P.O. Box 661763
Sacramento, CA 95866
Applications must be submitted online by midnight or postmarked by the deadline date.
We will review each application, biography, and teacher’s letter of recommendation. Qualified applicants will be notified of their acceptance by phone or e-mail.